Sunday, September 2, 2007

About those 4 dead plants...

I should mention that the 4 dead plants I noted in my last entry (still pending on our punch list), are really 5. Four appear to have not survived because of the winter, but a fifth dead plant may have held a different fate.

This is likely a good time to introduce the landscape and irrigation contractor that our builder, Joe Savarese, hired to install our sprinkler system and complete all landscaping on our house. Taylor Brinser of Aqua Tech Landscaping. He is hired by Joe to do most of the landscaping work on all of Joe's houses, it appears, because the price is right.

Unfortunately in this case, we had already paid top dollar for our newly built house and land, counting on the contract which boasts "Dover Realty Trust offers much more through Design, Craftsmanship, and a Commitment to Excellence." It is apparantly their lack of excellence which Joe Savarese and Jake Gibbs use to pad their profit margin.

Back to my story...plant #5. I watched plant #5 die this spring, beside the 4 vacant holes left by the 4 dead plants Taylor had already removed. As a side note, they still remain vacant to this day and I am at a point where I assume they will never be replaced.

Inquiring minds might want to know...why did plant #5 meet such a fate. One only needs to take a shovel to the problem, and within 4 inches of the surface of the ground, have found your answer. As I dug out my latest dead plant, it took only one strike to hit "rock bottom". Twenty minutes later, along with a broken shovel, I was able to produce this:

Now one may ask the question about how it came to be that my plant literally was planted on top of this gigantic rock. Only Taylor, our landscaper, knows. Did he not notice this rock when he dug the hole? Does he not know that plants need soil, and not rock, to grow? Does he simply not know what he is doing, or worse yet, did he do it knowingly?

Regardless of the answer, it leaves me believing that Taylor has no business being in the landscaping world. That said, if he does continue to do this line of business, I don't suggest you hire him, so that he learns how to do it on your dime.